CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: speaking of Hardinge

Posted by kje_67
on 2002-11-29 08:06:53 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Raymond Heckert" <jnr@a...> wrote:
> Hi, kje_67,
> You should be able to set up the punch with a simple
> drilling cycle, G81 code, I believe.
> Start with Z-axis at 0.1, or some positive value, and at
> every X-axis/Y-axis co-ordinate, actuate the punch solenoid
> everytime the Z-axis becomes minus. Is your punch-press a
> mechanical clutch, or hydraulic? (I used to program &
> operate a W.A.Whitney 647C Plasma-punch, which used
> Hydraulic punching pressure.) You may have to
> 'synthetically' time the feedrate of the drill cycle, to
> allow the punch to withdraw before moving to the next
> co-ords. Also, have either an electronic fence, or a
> two-palm button operator's panel, or some other form of
> protection of yourself! Contact me off-list, if this gets
> too commercial.
>
> RayHex (the other Ray. H.)

Yes, I thought about that- using G81. Hydraulic ram connected to
clutch/brake with free running motor. Activated through air solenoids.

The other Ray H. said:
'The biggest problem that I saw was that you'd have to write all of
your own routines to handle setting and rotating the tooling.'

I wasn't sure what to think about this aspect- I haven't made heads
or tails of the EMC code yet- I haven't looked at it much, nor have I
gained real understanding of it through the list archives- the tool
change routines. I was kind of hoping that EMC would be a little more
documented... ofcourse, I don't have a full grasp of all there is.

I think that taking on the Strippit is something that surely must
come after a successful completion of something a little simpler. It
may not even get done... That's looking like a lot of work. I don't
know if I could really afford to do it for free, even if I decided to
try and convert it. I also highly suspect that I end up becoming
the 'service guy' on this beast, should it happen. That could be a
problem in itself.

I think we could consider this hobby, not commercial- I won't be
making a dime off the deal. It's really just an opportunity to do
something new and different. If anything, I'll be able to machine
some parts that I'd like to make, but that's about it. I was
intrigued by the idea of a low cost solution to fixing/upgrading a
friend's machines, using an OS that I am quite familiar with. I just
saw tonight that there's a company who has a turn-key upgrade for the
Hardinge HC- only $17K!

I'll work on the Hardinge, and see where that goes. I may not even be
in this locale in 30 days, so I'm not going to concern myself with
the Strippit. However, their documentation certainly is a help in
understanding controls in general. Schematics and logic diagrams of
everything. It's pretty rediculous, though- I guess NCS still has
parts for the controller, but they want an arm and a leg for them.
Just one logic board would probably cover the cost of an EMC retrofit.

KJ

Discussion Thread

kje_67 2002-11-27 19:31:59 UTC speaking of Hardinge Ray Henry 2002-11-28 06:41:19 UTC Re: speaking of Hardinge Raymond Heckert 2002-11-28 20:49:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: speaking of Hardinge kje_67 2002-11-29 08:06:53 UTC Re: speaking of Hardinge Jon Elson 2002-11-29 09:09:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: speaking of Hardinge