CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: speaking of Hardinge

kje_67 wrote:

>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Raymond Heckert" <jnr@a...> wrote:
>

>>Hi, kje_67,
>>You should be able to set up the punch with a simple
>>drilling cycle, G81 code, I believe.
>>Start with Z-axis at 0.1, or some positive value, and at
>>every X-axis/Y-axis co-ordinate, actuate the punch solenoid
>>everytime the Z-axis becomes minus. Is your punch-press a
>>mechanical clutch, or hydraulic? (I used to program &
>>operate a W.A.Whitney 647C Plasma-punch, which used
>>Hydraulic punching pressure.) You may have to
>>'synthetically' time the feedrate of the drill cycle, to
>>allow the punch to withdraw before moving to the next
>>co-ords. Also, have either an electronic fence, or a
>>two-palm button operator's panel, or some other form of
>>protection of yourself! Contact me off-list, if this gets
>>too commercial.
>>
>>RayHex (the other Ray. H.)
>>

>Yes, I thought about that- using G81. Hydraulic ram connected to
>clutch/brake with free running motor. Activated through air solenoids.
>
>The other Ray H. said:
>'The biggest problem that I saw was that you'd have to write all of
>your own routines to handle setting and rotating the tooling.'

I'm not sure what is meant by writing your own routines. I've never
seen the 'G-code' used
on a Strippit, and how different it may be from what is used on milling
machines.

But, I'd bet it is something like a C word, where C is a rotary axis
parallel to the Z linear axis.
Now, I have no idea how a Strippit adjusts the punch and die
orientation, whether you have
0, 45 and 90 degrees, selected by air valves, or whether you can set it
in .1 degree increments
by servo motors. If it has servo motors and encoders, it would be
SIMPLE to make EMC
drive them from C words. Essentially plug it in and go, just like the X
and Y axes.

If it uses air valves to index to preset rotations, it shouldn't be very
hard to do, but it would take
a small hack to the code.

>I'll work on the Hardinge, and see where that goes. I may not even be
>in this locale in 30 days, so I'm not going to concern myself with
>the Strippit. However, their documentation certainly is a help in
>understanding controls in general. Schematics and logic diagrams of
>everything. It's pretty rediculous, though- I guess NCS still has
>parts for the controller, but they want an arm and a leg for them.
>Just one logic board would probably cover the cost of an EMC retrofit.

Yes, what people charge for this stuff is amazing. I talked to a bunch
of people when I first
got into it and bought an ancient Allen-Bradley control. One of them
told me that A-B
wanted $3000 for a gel-cell memory backup battery, plus travel time and
labor! That's
a 10,000 % markup! Not bad!

kje_67 2002-11-27 19:31:59 UTC speaking of Hardinge Ray Henry 2002-11-28 06:41:19 UTC Re: speaking of Hardinge Raymond Heckert 2002-11-28 20:49:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: speaking of Hardinge kje_67 2002-11-29 08:06:53 UTC Re: speaking of Hardinge Jon Elson 2002-11-29 09:09:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: speaking of Hardinge