CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EDM info

Posted by RichD
on 2002-12-14 22:37:43 UTC
Jan,
The machine has a reel of wire at the top and is fed thru a series of insulated
rollers to steady the pull and wipe the wire then down thru a guide,
graphite conductor shoe, thru a saphire guide, thru the material to cut,
thru the lower saphire guide, graphite conductor, under a roller, out the
back to the motorized pulling rolls and down to the bin. Some machines
chop the wire as it exits.
Now you can build your own!
This machine occupies a space about 6 feet cubed. The working envelope is only 15 x 15"!
Brass wire seems to be the universal material. I don't know if others are available.

We also have a large plunge EDM, but it goes unused. The operation is tricky at best
and the Chinglese manual is awful. For months the instructor thought it was broken
because of the loud sound made by the fluid pump contactor.
The work is automatically submerged in EDM fluid.

Whats nice about EDM is that pre hardened steel can be cut with ease eliminating
the regrinding to finish a part.
RichD

JanRwl@... wrote:

> In a message dated 12/14/2002 9:05:15 PM Central Standard Time,
> cmsteam@... writes:
>
> > It is pulled thru the guides and dumped into a box below to be discarded.
> >

> Thanks, Rich! Some of that I had "guessed", and it is nice to have it
> further explained and clarified.
>
> But after it is "pulled thru [those] guides...", does it exit through a hole
> in the bottom of the container, or again up-over the top, over pullies in the
> container?
>
> Yeah, I had guessed the brass wire was pitted and not re-useable. But why
> brass? Wouldn't copper or copper-plated steel work?
>
> Thanks again! Jan R.

Discussion Thread

RichD 2002-12-14 22:37:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EDM info Jon Elson 2002-12-16 01:57:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EDM info turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2002-12-16 07:19:51 UTC Re: EDM info (names2001) Zafar Salam 2002-12-16 19:22:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EDM info