CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EDM info

Posted by Zafar Salam
on 2002-12-16 19:22:49 UTC
Chinese are making machines that run on Molybdenum wires for the last 15
years or so. In fact I own one for the last 7 years. It gives me cutting
speeds of 25 to 40 square mm per minute cutting at 2 to 3 amperes. A 50
meter length of Mo wire lasts for almost 24 hours at this cutting speed.
Great saving compared to brass wire. The surface finish is a fraction less
than brass wire cuts though.

Regards,
Zafar

> RichD wrote:
>
> >Jan,
> >The machine has a reel of wire at the top and is fed thru a series of
insulated
> >rollers to steady the pull and wipe the wire then down thru a guide,
> >graphite conductor shoe, thru a saphire guide, thru the material to cut,
> >thru the lower saphire guide, graphite conductor, under a roller, out the
> >back to the motorized pulling rolls and down to the bin. Some machines
> >chop the wire as it exits.
> >Now you can build your own!
> >This machine occupies a space about 6 feet cubed. The working envelope is
only 15 x 15"!
> >Brass wire seems to be the universal material. I don't know if others are
available.

> Robert Langlois was demonstrating a wire EDM at the 2001 NAMES show. He
> was cutting
> hair-thin tubing with it, under pure water. He said he was using a
> Molybdenum wire, if I
> remember correctly. He had 2 grooved spools, and the wire was fed back
> and forth many times.
> There were knots or something in the wire that tripped reversing
> switches when it got near the
> end.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

RichD 2002-12-14 22:37:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EDM info Jon Elson 2002-12-16 01:57:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EDM info turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2002-12-16 07:19:51 UTC Re: EDM info (names2001) Zafar Salam 2002-12-16 19:22:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EDM info