CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Linux and computer upgrade

Posted by George Fouse
on 2000-02-12 08:32:26 UTC
Hi Darrell,
1.After changing to new motherboard, I'm assuming that you DID verify
that your memory was seated properly and that Linux could find it all.
Boot up into Linux and see how much memory it thinks is in the system.
You can go to /var/log and "more dmesg". near the front should be a line
starting with "Memory: (amount in K)" . Make sure the sum is what you
think it should be. If not, perhaps there is a problem with the memory
and/or installation.
2.lilo.conf is /etc/lilo.conf. This is the file that lilo uses to allow
you to multi-boot. The important thing here is in stanza for rtlinux (I
don't know what Tim called the compressed kernel in his script). But in
that stanza, there will be a line like:
append="mem=##m"
where ## is the number of megs of memory you want the system to use. If
this is more than the physical memory the system sees, it may well
'crash' at some point.

Check these first and get back to the group.

Good luck.

Darrell wrote:

> From: "Darrell" <dgehlsen@...>

-

George Fouse,
President
G F I Consulting

Discussion Thread

Darrell Gehlsen 2000-02-11 15:41:11 UTC Linux and computer upgrade Tim Goldstein 2000-02-11 16:20:28 UTC Re: Linux and computer upgrade George Fouse 2000-02-11 17:28:21 UTC Re: Linux and computer upgrade Darrell 2000-02-12 00:26:44 UTC Re: Linux and computer upgrade Darrell 2000-02-12 00:58:09 UTC Re: Linux and computer upgrade George Fouse 2000-02-12 08:32:26 UTC Re: Linux and computer upgrade