CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rapid Proofing Material

abbylynx wrote:

>Hi,
>
>What do you guys use as a proofing material when you want to test out
>quickly whether a part will come out like you want. I'm tempted to
>use wax since it's nice and soft, and you could remelt all the chips
>when you're done and mold it into the shape of more or less any stock
>you wanted. What worries me is that it might simply melt like a
>candle and gum up the cutting tool/leadscrews/etc etc.

For 2D work, or even 2.5 D, I use a 'platen' with paper taped to it, and
a ballpoint pen cartridge
that I have fitted into a 1/2" diameter bar, with a spring pushing it
forward. I can run a program
that uses cutter radius compensation with the tool diameter set to 0,
and it draws the actual part
outline. Then, I can set the tool diameter to the actual tool size, and
I can see it draw the tool
centerline path, and make sure it will cut on the right side of the line.

Wax is actually used by the pros, and it works fine. They do remelt it,
too. The machine shop
supply houses all sell this. It is usually blue. I don't know if it
has any special properties
to make it cut better.

>So far I've been using some soft pieces of wood I found around my
>house, but it's not been without trouble. The fine particles of dust
>got into my leadscrews after a few cuts (Okay, it was my fault for
>being impatient and blowing the dust as the mill was cutting because
>I wanted to see the part :P) and the mill started making horrible
>sounds and losing lots of steps. I had to take the whole thing apart,
>clean it with acetone, re-oil and recalibrate it. That said it moves
>REALLY smoothly now, the Y-axis purring like a cat. :)
>
>So what do you use for rapid proofing?

Mostly, the drawing trick above, trust in the programs I use, and
careful watching of the
first part are sufficient for my purposes. I screw up a LOT more
material with mistakes
in the setup (forgetting to set coordinates on one axis, forgetting to
set tool length in
tool table, etc.) than with faulty CNC toolpaths.

abbylynx <abbylynx@y... 2002-12-28 16:16:48 UTC Rapid Proofing Material Yesamazza@a... 2002-12-28 18:33:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rapid Proofing Material JanRwl@A... 2002-12-28 19:11:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rapid Proofing Material Andrew Werby 2002-12-28 19:22:04 UTC Rapid Proofing Material Dennis Cranston 2002-12-28 19:42:24 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rapid Proofing Material turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2002-12-28 19:49:59 UTC Re: Rapid Proofing Material hllrsr@c... 2002-12-28 20:04:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rapid Proofing Material Jon Elson 2002-12-28 22:40:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rapid Proofing Material