CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

[CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Serail port CNC (was RE: Why not Nintendo CNC? (was Re: Palm CNC))

on 2003-01-03 08:16:04 UTC
The biggest problem you may find with using a serial port -> parallel port
converter for CNC may be the parallel port update rates.

An IBM PC compatible serial port runs at a maximum rate of 115K bits per
second. This means that the parallel port output state can only be changed
11,500 times per second. A modern parallel port can be changed between
2,000,000 and 8,000,000 times per second. The update rate on the parallel
port is one factor (after CPU speed) in determining how fast
step-and-direction pulses can be sent. A serial-to-parallel converter could
limit the step rate to a four-hundredth of what you could get with a direct
parallel port.

For my next CNC machine, am using serial port interfaced stepper
drivers. I had a PC board made to drive two motors from a single, daisy
chained, serial port. To handle the speed problem, I have done two things:

1) I transmit motor phase information, not step-and-direction.
2) I allow enhanced serial ports, and support speeds 4 times
faster than the PC standard.

This is not, however, compatible with step-and-direction CNC software. I
don't know if EMC supports a direct-phase output module.

-- Carl