CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EDM Capacitors

Posted by Bill Higdon
on 2003-01-07 14:58:33 UTC
Bill,
IIRC they are rated at 350 Volts, I've used the as filter caps for Tube
equipment I've built I wired a bucnh of them in parallel. A LOT cheaper
than ordering new caps from Newark etc.
Bill Higdon
wanliker@... wrote:
> One source of Photoflash Electrolytic capacitors are the small throw away
> cameras, they are returned to drugstores and camera and developed there, the
> cameras are then thrown away.
> With a nice smile, and a Please they can be had for the asking. Last time I
> asked, they had over 25 the next day.
> Easily taken apart, the Photoflash can is over 100 mfd. at over 150 volts, if
> I recall correctly, can't find the ones I had right now, and threw most away.
>
> Mounted on a pierce of perf board and paralleled with a piece of #12 wire,
> soldered to the pads, they could easily be a very high voltage, capacity
> power bank. Also the capacitors for Photo flash work are made for HIGH
> discharge rates.
>
> If you can make them work for you in your equipment, there is an endless free
> supply of them for the asking. Parallel as many as needed, and switch more
> in when needed.
>
> SAFETY NOTICE, even in the cameras, they do hold a charge and can be
> dangerous, so please be careful and discharge them before handling them.
>
> A BUNCH OF THEM MOUNTED ON A BOARD IN PARALLEL, WILL MAKE A SCREW DRIVER
> BLADE DISAPPEAR........BE VERY CAREFUL......
> It would also be a very good idea to have about a 10K 5-10 WATT discharge
> resistor across the banks to automatically discharge the bank.
>
> Hope this helps someone,
> bill

Discussion Thread

Ian W. Wright 2003-01-07 01:49:56 UTC EDM Capacitors Jon Elson 2003-01-07 10:05:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EDM Capacitors Bill Higdon 2003-01-07 14:58:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EDM Capacitors