CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] spindle motor connections

Posted by JanRwl@A...
on 2003-01-09 14:14:28 UTC
In a message dated 1/9/2003 4:23:41 AM Central Standard Time,
rick@... writes:

> I am replacing a 3 phase motor with a single phase and would like to
>
> know how to rewire it for forward and reverse wire connections.
>
> I plan on using the original start,stop,and reverse buttons which
>
> are connected to 24 volt relays.

Rick: First, a "disclaimer": I am NOT a "motor man". However, I THINK I
know that there are VARIOUS connections for single-phase "tool motors",
depending on make, and there seems to be NO "standard" for the terminal or
wire designations, the way the "centrifugal starter-switch" works, if any,
whether there are TWO capacitors or only one, etc.

Thus, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to suggest "how to rewire it for
forward/reverse" without having it in-hand! I had a single-phase motor
(Dayton brand) once, where I had carefully read the data about "which color
wire goes where" (or was it NUMBERS printed right on the wire-insulation?),
and rigged relays which "made the connections per the diagram", and it
worked, so long as I let it come to a DEAD-stop before selecting the OTHER
direction (If switched too quickly, it'd just resume running the same
direction, but if "at the same power", I have NO clue!). This meant FOUR
wires coming out of the motor instead of two, and, well, it lasted a couple
years until I finally got 3-phase from the utility company.

I can appreciate that you probably have a GOOD reason for wanting to so-rig
this particular motor, but just in case no one has clued you in: Get
three-phase power, even if you hafta use a rotary converter! It is MILES
better than 1-Ø !!!

Jan Rowland

bondeoca <rick@q... 2003-01-09 02:21:11 UTC spindle motor connections JanRwl@A... 2003-01-09 14:14:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] spindle motor connections mayfieldtm <mayfiet@i... 2003-01-09 15:50:05 UTC Re: spindle motor connections James Owens 2003-01-09 18:00:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: spindle motor connections