CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: spindle motor connections

Posted by James Owens
on 2003-01-09 18:00:28 UTC
Hi,

I'm sorry I have to disagree. Provided the motor is synchronous you just reverse either the start winding or the run winding but not both, regardless of start or run capacitors. The motor has to be stationary at the time. I have used this method for 12 years on some of my machines. Email me offlist and I'll send you a gif of how it is done with two switches. One to connect power and the other to change the direction.

Regards,

Terry

----- Original Message -----
From: mayfieldtm <mayfiet@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 11:50 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: spindle motor connections

Mr. Rowland is correct, NO "standards".
Probably best to visit your local motor rewind shop with a song or $5
or a box of donuts.
They would probably be more than happy to help.
Also... Keep your 3 phase if possible, much better.
Use a "Variable Frequency Drive" to convert to 3 phase, if you can
afford the couple of hundred bucks.
Some people on this list claim to be very happy with them.

Tom M.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, JanRwl@A... wrote:
> know that there are VARIOUS connections for single-phase "tool
motors",
> depending on make, and there seems to be NO "standard" for the
terminal or
> wire designations, the way the "centrifugal starter-switch" works,
if any,
> whether there are TWO capacitors or only one, etc.

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Moderator: jmelson@... timg@... [Moderator]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
bill
List Mom
List Owner