CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CAM in Polar format

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2000-02-16 05:11:49 UTC
> From: Jay Hayes <xmas4lites@...>
>
> Fred, thanks for your help. Is the cam.cfg in Bobcad 17 much different
from 16.1? I need to set the X axis to reflect the true
> vector length of each line segment for each step, and set the A axis to
reflect the incremental angle between the line segment
> and the line segment that follows it. I'm able to manually pull these
values from the drawing in Bobcad with the verify routine,
> but haven't been able to figure out how to change the cam.cfg to generate
an NC code needed. Is Vector any easier to configure?

Yes, in version 17.0, the Setup has a Conversion button, which contains a
new function with a dialog for rotary axis translation. Again, this is
*just* a flat layout. Think of a roll of toilet paper. Unwrap one
revolution and lay it out flat. Draw on the rectangle, place tru-type font
outlines or machinable Cad text on the sheet. When you generate G-code, it
will be as if you had wrapped the flat sheet back around the original roll,
generating X-A G-code, instead of X-Y. You will have a difficult time with
things like pockets and 3D contours. You NEVER see the actual 3D
cylindrical shape. Note that Bobcad has NOT documented the rotary axis
functions. I know of them from having produced a training video & having to
experiment with it to make parts.

Vector *can* start with a flat layout. It has a wrap cylinder drawing
function that wraps the flat shape(X-Y Plane) in 3D around the X axis. You
always cut what you see in Vector, and it is always full time 3D.

The drivers come preconfigured for A,B and C axis rotations. We also
include a special US version A driver with 3 place decimals for the rotary
axis, and 4 place for the X-Y-Z values. Not only do you see the shapes
generated by the wrap cylinder function, but also you see that the Z values
in the original "flat" shape are preserved relative to the rotary axis.
Using the Vector Connect at Z function you can generate a complete pocket
routine, wrap it around a cylinder, & then perform(generate) the pocketing
moves with the rotary axis coordinates, including Rapid Z up and around
moves to quickly move from one contour to another.

Vector comes preconfigured and I wrote a user's manual to document how to
use it for both rotary tables and for simulated Y axis on a lathe with
driven tools. There are also examples of several different drawing tricks,
like spherical, conical, and other complex rotated surfaces.

Discussion Thread

Jay Hayes 2000-02-13 08:17:56 UTC CAM in Polar format Fred Smith 2000-02-14 05:54:27 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format Jay Hayes 2000-02-14 10:13:02 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format Fred Smith 2000-02-15 05:49:22 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format Jay Hayes 2000-02-15 09:36:18 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format Fred Smith 2000-02-15 14:46:17 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format Jay Hayes 2000-02-15 21:42:44 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format Fred Smith 2000-02-16 05:11:49 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format