CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CAM in Polar format

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2000-02-15 14:46:17 UTC
> From: Jay Hayes <xmas4lites@...>
>
> Fred, the incremental vector axis is linear and the other axis is rotary.
This will be used to automate a process that doesn't
> lend it self to the typical point to point or x,y linear and circular
interpretation. The drives will be steppers using step and
> direction commands.

Bobcad rotary axis will take a flat layout & translate it to X-A
coordinates. These are usually absolute. I have not tested this for
incremental values, but it *should* work ;-) This is JUST a cylindrical
wrap, and will not produce very good results with any kind of Z variation.
I tried to draw a shape in the Y-Z plane & the results are less than
satisfactory, but if your application is just like the cylinder surface,
Bobcad 17 can do it. The problem with doing this in Bobcad is that there is
no visual feel for the actual shape being generated. You just draw it flat
& get the angular code out in the NC editor.

One of our customers uses Vector to generate flat layouts with Z connects
between different shapes like letters, and then rotary translates it with
Bobcad. He started to do this before the Vector rotary translator was
available, and can some very nice work. He has a Haas rotary and M/C.

Best Regards,

Fred Smith
IMService

imserv@...
Phone: 248-486-3600 or 800-386-1670
Fax:248-486-3698

Discussion Thread

Jay Hayes 2000-02-13 08:17:56 UTC CAM in Polar format Fred Smith 2000-02-14 05:54:27 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format Jay Hayes 2000-02-14 10:13:02 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format Fred Smith 2000-02-15 05:49:22 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format Jay Hayes 2000-02-15 09:36:18 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format Fred Smith 2000-02-15 14:46:17 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format Jay Hayes 2000-02-15 21:42:44 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format Fred Smith 2000-02-16 05:11:49 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format