CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CAM in Polar format

Posted by Jay Hayes
on 2000-02-15 21:42:44 UTC
Fred, thanks for your help. Is the cam.cfg in Bobcad 17 much different from 16.1? I need to set the X axis to reflect the true
vector length of each line segment for each step, and set the A axis to reflect the incremental angle between the line segment
and the line segment that follows it. I'm able to manually pull these values from the drawing in Bobcad with the verify routine,
but haven't been able to figure out how to change the cam.cfg to generate an NC code needed. Is Vector any easier to configure?

Thanks again,

Jay Hayes
Weston, WV

Fred Smith wrote:

> Bobcad rotary axis will take a flat layout & translate it to X-A
> coordinates. These are usually absolute. I have not tested this for
> incremental values, but it *should* work ;-) This is JUST a cylindrical
> wrap, and will not produce very good results with any kind of Z variation.
> I tried to draw a shape in the Y-Z plane & the results are less than
> satisfactory, but if your application is just like the cylinder surface,
> Bobcad 17 can do it. The problem with doing this in Bobcad is that there is
> no visual feel for the actual shape being generated. You just draw it flat
> & get the angular code out in the NC editor.
>
> One of our customers uses Vector to generate flat layouts with Z connects
> between different shapes like letters, and then rotary translates it with
> Bobcad. He started to do this before the Vector rotary translator was
> available, and can some very nice work. He has a Haas rotary and M/C.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Fred Smith
> IMService
>
> imserv@...
> Phone: 248-486-3600 or 800-386-1670
> Fax:248-486-3698

Discussion Thread

Jay Hayes 2000-02-13 08:17:56 UTC CAM in Polar format Fred Smith 2000-02-14 05:54:27 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format Jay Hayes 2000-02-14 10:13:02 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format Fred Smith 2000-02-15 05:49:22 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format Jay Hayes 2000-02-15 09:36:18 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format Fred Smith 2000-02-15 14:46:17 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format Jay Hayes 2000-02-15 21:42:44 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format Fred Smith 2000-02-16 05:11:49 UTC Re: CAM in Polar format