CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How to Fit a tapered bushing

Posted by Peter
on 2003-01-15 08:14:25 UTC
Hi Hans,

I'm using an identical tapered bushing arrangement made by another
manufacturer. My installation notes said that in a few cases it would
be necessary to slightly open the gap to allow the bushing to slide over
the shaft. Having said that, you should double check your dimensions.
Assuming the motor shaft is 0.498" or thereabouts, your bushing OD
should be within a few 'thou or else they supplied a defective or wrong
size bushing. It would be acceptable to open the gap by gently tapping
a wedge (e.g. a wide, flat blade screwdriver) into the gap - avoid
inserting the end of the screwdriver into your hand as the blood will
mess up your installation... With the screwdriver wedging the gap a bit
wider, you shoud be able to slide the bushing over your motor shaft once
in place, you can remove the screwdriver. If you are still having
problems, I'd suggest taking your motor and bushing back to your
supplier for assistance - if that is an option.

I've been very happy with the tapered bushings holding my pulleys - they
grip REALLY tight and don't mark the shaft liks grub screws do. They're
also a lot easier to install than broaching the pulley hole if you have
to install a keyway.

Good luck!

Cheers, Peter

Hans Wedemeyer wrote:

>This stepper motor has a 1/2" shaft and I have to attached a tappered bushing to be able to mount the pulley on it.
>
>However there no way the bushing will "slide onto the shaft" as the instructions say it will.

Discussion Thread

Hans Wedemeyer 2003-01-15 07:26:14 UTC How to Fit a tapered bushing doug98105 <dougrasmussen@c... 2003-01-15 08:10:56 UTC Re: How to Fit a tapered bushing Marcus & Eva 2003-01-15 08:11:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How to Fit a tapered bushing Peter 2003-01-15 08:14:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How to Fit a tapered bushing Hans Wedemeyer 2003-01-15 20:51:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How to Fit a tapered bushing