CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Different G code standards?

on 2003-02-03 03:25:51 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:

> Joachim Reif wrote:
>
> >This might be a stupid question. I have done som CNC programming
on
> >a old VMC 100 from emco. As I today worked some with my MasterCam
> >realiced that there are diffrent standards (and different
machines).
> >Is there anyone that might help me in clearing this out. I have
> >looked att nne standard, the RS274NGC NIST.
> >
> No, it isn't. It was used for a project at NIST, and is the basis
of
> the EMC CNC program.
> It is based on Allen-Bradley's variant of RS274-D. There is an
IEEE
> document that
> defines RS274-D. It is copyrighted. I wonder if there is an
equivalent
> ISO standards
> document (it seems there must be).
>
> > Is this the dominating
> >standard on todays machines? What should I think about when
> >selecting a CNC program for my step and direction drivers.
> >

> The bigger machines have Fanuc, Heidenhain, Fadal, etc. variants.
>
> Jon

Your Cnc Controller Software determines what kind of code it
will work with.
I recommend to make sure it dose support some kind of G-code at
a minimum.
If it dose, see if it claims some kind of compatibility with any
of the big names.
The reason this will come in handy is that if you plan on using
any kind of a CAM system they usually come with several
Post Processors already setup to work with Brand named Controllers.
You can also configure your own Post Processor to work with your
Controller Software but this can get more difficult as the differences
to common controllers get greater.
Good Luck

Discussion Thread

Joachim Reif <joachim.reif@t... 2003-02-02 09:29:03 UTC Different G code standards? Jon Elson 2003-02-02 22:30:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Different G code standards? torsten98001 <torsten@g... 2003-02-03 03:25:51 UTC Re: Different G code standards? heroaku <heroaku@y... 2003-02-03 09:00:29 UTC Re: Different G code standards? doug98105 <dougrasmussen@c... 2003-02-03 09:13:41 UTC Re: Different G code standards?