CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine

on 2003-02-04 07:06:22 UTC
Bob,

If you are building home-brew, you might consider a Stewart Platform (aka
Hexapod) mill.

I'm into construction of my third generation machine. I still haven't
gotten a head appropriate for milling steel, but I'm well fixed for
aluminum and wood. I'm waiting for LittleMachineShop.com to get a shipment
which includes an R8 head assembly

Advantages of a Stewart Platform are:
Accuracy does not depend on long, flat, straight, STONG linear ways.
All forces are compression or tension -- nearly no bending forces
are applied to moving parts.
Full six axis positioning.
Possibly lower torque requirements for motors.

Disadvantages:
Larger physical size.
Six actuators, motors, and drivers instead of three.
Accuracy comes from software and calibration rather than
mechanical craftsmanship.

-- Carl

At 03:40 AM 2/4/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>I have read with great interest many archived and all current
>postings since joining this Group. I am encouraged enough to move
>from the periphery and into the fray and would like to know whether
>there is a compelling reason to buy a mill and modify it for CAD/CAM
>use rather than assemble one from discrete components attached to a
>welded frame, whether in traditional mill form or gantry.
>I have been leaning towards building as it seems to promise larger
>than "benchtop mill" size and I have several ball screws, linear
>bearings, motors and drivers. I have believed that the use of these
>components is inherently better than leadscrew and dovetail ways in
>obtaining a tighter tolerance and longer life. My specific concern,
>however, is the linear bearing's ability to withstand repeated stress
>and my ability to construct a frame to proper tolerance.
>On the other hand, the temptation to purchase a CNC ready Taig is
>justified in my research having yet to read a single complaint or
>regret. I could even us it to build a gantry mill as my second
>machine.
>I appreciate this group and have been impressed by its contributors
>namely Les, Tim, Wes and Jan to name a few.
>Sorry Bill, is that flaming?
>
>Thanks for the consideration,
>Bob O'Neal

Carl Mikkelsen
cmm@...
www.foxkid.net

Discussion Thread

onealcustom <onealcustom@a... 2003-02-03 20:19:39 UTC Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine Carl Mikkelsen 2003-02-04 07:06:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine j.guenther 2003-02-04 07:31:16 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine torsten98001 <torsten@g... 2003-02-04 10:15:31 UTC Re: Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine Carl Mikkelsen 2003-02-04 10:51:21 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine Andrew Werby 2003-02-04 12:01:17 UTC Re: Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine rainnea <rainnea@b... 2003-02-05 06:05:01 UTC Re: Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine alex 2003-02-05 08:28:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine