CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2003-02-04 12:01:17 UTC
Message: 5
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 03:40:14 -0000
From: "onealcustom <onealcustom@...>" <onealcustom@...>
Subject: Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine

I have read with great interest many archived and all current
postings since joining this Group. I am encouraged enough to move
from the periphery and into the fray and would like to know whether
there is a compelling reason to buy a mill and modify it for CAD/CAM
use rather than assemble one from discrete components attached to a
welded frame, whether in traditional mill form or gantry.
I have been leaning towards building as it seems to promise larger
than "benchtop mill" size and I have several ball screws, linear
bearings, motors and drivers. I have believed that the use of these
components is inherently better than leadscrew and dovetail ways in
obtaining a tighter tolerance and longer life. My specific concern,
however, is the linear bearing's ability to withstand repeated stress
and my ability to construct a frame to proper tolerance.

[Proper tolerance for what? If you're planning on milling steel, the
tolerances and rigidity have to be much higher than if you are aiming for
aluminum as the hardest material you tackle. Linear bearings, specifically
the rectangular rail and truck type like THK makes, are used in commercial
CNC mills, so they are capable of holding tight tolerances, although I don't
think they are as heavy-duty as dovetails in cast iron. Welded-frame
construction is common in routers, less so in vertical mills. More people
seem to build their own routers than attempt constructing their own vertical
mills.]

On the other hand, the temptation to purchase a CNC ready Taig is
justified in my research having yet to read a single complaint or
regret. I could even us it to build a gantry mill as my second
machine.

[It certainly could come in handy for some aspects of the process. I'm not
going to be the one to tell you you shouldn't get one. What control system
would you put on it?]

I appreciate this group and have been impressed by its contributors
namely Les, Tim, Wes and Jan to name a few.
Sorry Bill, is that flaming?

Thanks for the consideration,
Bob O'Neal

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

Discussion Thread

onealcustom <onealcustom@a... 2003-02-03 20:19:39 UTC Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine Carl Mikkelsen 2003-02-04 07:06:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine j.guenther 2003-02-04 07:31:16 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine torsten98001 <torsten@g... 2003-02-04 10:15:31 UTC Re: Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine Carl Mikkelsen 2003-02-04 10:51:21 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine Andrew Werby 2003-02-04 12:01:17 UTC Re: Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine rainnea <rainnea@b... 2003-02-05 06:05:01 UTC Re: Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine alex 2003-02-05 08:28:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Taig CNC Mill vs.Homebuilt Machine