CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CMM Software

on 2003-02-04 14:27:38 UTC
Hi Hans,

You might check out the patent documentation. I understand that the
patent might be running out?

I believe to a simpler extent, that the MaxNC probe is of a similar
design. As I suspect you're interested in making one, I'll describe the
MaxNC probe.

Basically, in the MaxNC, there is a triangular piece of PCB material
connected to the probe. This piece is pressed (with a spring) against a
round PCB with three 2-56 screws protruding through the board. The
center of the round board has a hole that clears the long thin probe.
The three contact pairs thus formed are connected in series. If the
triangular board is tipped, then one or more pairs of contacts are
opened, and this event (with a pull up resistor) is read into the PC on
a parallel port line.

For the Renishaw, there are three small spheres, and they bridge
triangular shaped contact pairs, as I recall.

I built my own (PCB style) probe. I even explored using some small
bearings to more closely duplicate the Renishaw, but never got around to
it.

Contact me off list if you're interested in hearing more.

Alan KM6VV