CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Commercial CNC vs. Homemade CNC Router

on 2003-02-05 21:32:10 UTC
My vote would be to outsource the work to a fabrication shop with a
CNC punching machine. Those machines can punch your holes so fast
you wouldn't believe it. They rapid at 3000ipm and up.

If you were to build your own machine it would take some doing to
get a machine of 4x8 size to do "precisely drilled" holes. Besides
the accuracy issue, you'd grow old watching the thing slowly
traverse across your 4x8 sheets.

Just my $.02.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "asennad <asenna@S...>"
<asenna@S...> wrote:
> I wish to produce parts for a watercraft that I am building. It
requires pr=
> ecisely dilled holes in thin aluminum sheet metal (.016 – .040)
for the purp=
> ose of riveting.
>
> I have been monitoring this forum for ideas on building my own CNC
router. =
> I would require a machine that would accept 4 x 8 feet sheets.
>
> I am looking for your honest, informed opinions. Should I
consider constru=
> cting my own CNC router or would I be better off outsourcing this
work. It s=
> trikes me that the construction of such a machine would take some
time and m=
> oney.
>
> What I wish to do is compare the costs of building a machine and
available =
> CNC services.
>
> Where can I get work done for me at reasonable prices? What about
commercia=
> l sign makers? Many advertise CNC systems, would that be a viable
low cost =
> solution?

Discussion Thread

asennad <asenna@S... 2003-02-05 21:07:41 UTC Commercial CNC vs. Homemade CNC Router doug98105 <dougrasmussen@c... 2003-02-05 21:32:10 UTC Re: Commercial CNC vs. Homemade CNC Router Marv Frankel 2003-02-05 22:07:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Commercial CNC vs. Homemade CNC Router IMService 2003-02-06 03:05:28 UTC Re: Commercial CNC vs. Homemade CNC Router turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-02-06 07:21:03 UTC Re: Commercial CNC vs. Homemade CNC Router Ron Ginger 2003-02-08 15:19:24 UTC RE: Commercial CNC vs. Homemade CNC Router