CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: BDI EMC Display and Motion Control program question

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2003-02-27 11:54:17 UTC
(comments mixed in)

>    From: "earla13 <earla13@...>" <earla13@...>
<s> I am also using the Tkemc display program (via the emc_run icon) and
> can't figure out how to change the default 0,1,2 Axis readouts to the
> more traditional X,Y, and Z.  Where is this parameter located?

There isn't one. I'll explain in a bit.

> Why
> are there several display programs such as Tkemc, Xemc, and Yemc?

'Cause there are many different uses for the EMC motion control software.
We've got mills, lathes, hexapods, welding robots (not those little
vehicles that call themselves robots) vehicles like Humvees and
aircraft/spacecraft. Each requires different interfaces. The three you
mention are successive generations of x-windows stuff. The xemc was the
original. The yemc added all six axi and joint/world systems. (see note
below) The tkemc is written in a different language and allows a more
contemporary looking set of graphical widgets. There are others hidden
away in the source like keystick and text only versions. You can also
run the emc as a collection of separate processes in terminals and do
just about anyting that you'd like -- if you've got the patience for it.

> I am also using the steppermod.o motion control program,

Yes you are using steppermod because it is the one that will show numbers
rather than names. One of the things that was recently included in tkemc
is the ability to look at an axis as either a joint/motor or as part of a
world coordinate system like x, y or z. We did this to make it easier
for folk to tune up hexapods and robots with the same gui. (graphical
user interface)

With steppermod you can get around this problem by homing 1, 2, 3 and
then switch to auto and press the "world" radiobutton along the right
side of the screen. You will get ocasional error messages from the EMC
when you are in manual mode but it will run this way.

> and have
> read that freqmod.o is smoother.  Is this true or am I confused.

For most machines this is true. I haven't found enough difference with
the Sherline motors to be worth the effort. There is a freqmod tuning
thing in the handbook.

> can't seem to make freqmod.o to work with my Stepperworld
> step/direction controller.

What are the symptoms?

Ray

Discussion Thread