CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: TOOL CHANGER , EMC AND STG2

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2003-02-27 11:54:19 UTC
>    From: "Asim Khan <asimtec@...>" <asimtec@...>
> Subject: Re: TOOL CHANGER , EMC AND STG2
>
> Thanks Jon
> I'd say bingo if someone could explain a bit how these too many
> source files are arranged in emc those access the input and output
> ports at the lpt and the STG card. Specifically if someone could
> explain me the calling tree of these various functions present in the
> emc source archives.
> I've seen tkio.tcl which seems to contains the wrapper functions for
> tool change but!
> bridgeporttool.cc is another source file which too contains some
> fucntions for tool changer perhaps!

Hi @sim

I'm not absolutely certain that there are "too many" source files in
there. There are lots of them. The runtime modules and programs are
built from them using the normal "make" approach.

The toplevel make resides in emc/src. It takes certain variables from
the command line and from a set of define files that reside in
emc/scripts and builds a set of intermediate source and object files in
the emc/plat/ directories. From there it compiles and links it all
together for any one of several os's and machines.

This does not take account of the rcslib stuff which must be there before
the emc is compiled.

Yes, if you are thinking intel or intel clone/relative and linux 2.4.xx
with a specific realtime patch, running a cartesian mill on a stand alone
PC, then there are more files than you need. But then the "make" weeds
out what you don't need for your specific setup.

Now let me get back to the CAD_CAM... part of this post. You can rather
easily write a tool changer file for the EMC. This involves two separate
programs. The first is bridgeporttask. This task controller has the
logic necessary in it to recognise, schedule, and move forward the tool
change commands. The second program is some sort of io program like
bridgeport io or the combination of iosh and tkio.

I've written a couple of tool changer IO programs here with iosh and
tkio. The file iosh connects all of the NML (Neutral Messaging Language)
words needed for a tool changer to the tickle programming language. Once
into that language, you can write normal switch, if, for, and while
commands to sort out the logic of what your tool changer is doing and
read or touch the pins of a parport or DIO card with the logic needed to
run solenoids, motors, and such.

Iosh passes all of the tool commands from the interpreter and task stuff
to tkio. These include tool prep commands in case your changer allows
for hiving or intermediate storage of tools. It also does the work of
pausing the EMC until the tool change command is complete.

Bridgeportio works the same way only it connects directly to the NML and
is written in C or C++.

Hope this helps

Ray

Discussion Thread

Asim Khan <asimtec@y... 2003-02-24 07:19:39 UTC TOOL CHANGER , EMC AND STG2 Jon Elson 2003-02-24 10:23:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] TOOL CHANGER , EMC AND STG2 Asim Khan <asimtec@y... 2003-02-26 21:50:50 UTC Re: TOOL CHANGER , EMC AND STG2 Ray Henry 2003-02-27 11:54:19 UTC Re: Re: TOOL CHANGER , EMC AND STG2 Asim Khan <asimtec@y... 2003-03-03 07:03:43 UTC Re: TOOL CHANGER , EMC AND STG2 Ray Henry 2003-03-03 16:24:46 UTC Re: Re: TOOL CHANGER , EMC AND STG2