CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Tree Journeyman any good?

Chris and Dee wrote:

>Dynapath 10s control kaput, but servos are OK
>250 IPM rapids
>power knee
>Spindle was completely rebuilt recently and has < 20 hrs on it
>He says it will only do .002" TIR
>
>For nearly everything I do, .002" would be fine.

.002" TIR is pretty bad. That means the spindle socket is .001" off center.
Generally, these machines are spec'd at somewhere around .0002" TIR.

If this isn't a typo, it indicates the spindle rebuild went wrong,
somehow, or the
taper socket is galled up. This might be fixable with some simple
tools, or it
might not be fixable at all. This much spindle runout will make
everything you
cut have wavy lines on it.

> Bores that need to
>be tighter I'd do with a boring tool anyways.

Boring tools may not work well, depending on the exact nature of this
problem.
If it is looseness, you won't be able to bore at all, as the boring tool
will be
wobbling all over the place. If it is a tilt to the spindle socket, you
may get
off-round holes.

> What I don't know, is
>what something like this would normally go for. He's asking $1700.
>Add in the rigging, and this is definitely more than I was hoping to
>spend, but if its worth it, I might not mind.

Without clarification on the meaning and nature of the .002" TIR, I
would definitely
not give him $1700. That's a bit high for a machine with a blown
control, anyway.

> I've got many years (I
>hope) ahead of me to have fun with it, so my theme is buy something
>that will keep me happy for a while.
>
>Short any other details, what would something like this be worth?
>Also, what kind of servo motors were used on these machines. I have
>a whole bunch of PacSci Brushless Serve Drives (PC800) that I was
>planning to use on the bridgeport conversion and would be interested
>to know if these might work on the Tree.

Almost certainly, the machine had DC brush motors.

Chris and Dee 2003-03-05 17:19:29 UTC Tree Journeyman any good? vrsculptor 2003-03-05 18:53:42 UTC Re: Tree Journeyman any good? Chris and Dee 2003-03-05 19:46:06 UTC Re: Tree Journeyman any good? Jon Elson 2003-03-05 22:32:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Tree Journeyman any good? Jon Elson 2003-03-05 22:37:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Tree Journeyman any good? doug98105 2003-03-06 06:51:33 UTC Re: Tree Journeyman any good?