CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 2987

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2003-03-08 20:29:43 UTC
Yep it could be written to run under MS-Windows. In fact we could compile
the EMC as a simulator for that OS. Several have done this and the code is
in the respostory at sourceforge. That step would require some of the
developer/compiler programs from Microsoft.

As for the Tcl/Tk stuff all we would need to do is fix up tkemc and
tkbackplot so that the file commands, external exec calls, and links work on
the target OS and we should be good to go. We could also convert my
soon-to-be-released mini.tcl gui and have a single widget that contains the
whole thing.

MS-Windows users would just have to add the Tcl/Tk 8.0+ package to their PCs.
Binaries of this are available for free download for most of the versions of
the MS-OS's.

IMHO one could do this with near zero knowledge of MS systems, which is a
bit more than I've got.

Ray

>    From: Paul <no.spam27@...>
> Subject: Re: EMC backplot
>

> The backplotting function of EMC is coded entirely in Tcl/Tk using some Tcl
> extensions to access the data being produced by EMC. Whilst there is a port
> of Tcl/Tk for Windows (and Mac), and the EMC GUI will run on a Windows box,
> it would still require a functioning EMC system to generate the data.
>
> Tcl is a very easy language to get to grips with - Why not take the
> backplot routines and write a short program to convert the G code in to a
> format that can be displayed ?
>
> Regards, Paul.
>
> On Sunday 09 March 2003 12:03 am, P. J. Hicks wrote:
> > How much trouble would it be to port your back plot program over to
> > WINDOWS or DOS?  I'm sure a lot of folks would cough up some chips for a
> > good plotting program.

Discussion Thread

Ray Henry 2003-03-08 20:29:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 2987 Paul 2003-03-09 08:00:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC backplot Tim Goldstein 2003-03-09 09:04:25 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC backplot Paul 2003-03-09 13:13:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC backplot pcfw 2003-03-09 15:29:11 UTC Re: EMC backplot