CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Pulse generator and tuning Gecko 320 drivers....

on 2003-03-12 06:04:32 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Goldstein" <timg@k...>
wrote:
> Is there something about using a controller program and a PC for
this
> that you do not like?

No, that's not it. That's the easy part.

> If you run Mach1 you can just make a subroutine that shuttles the
motor
> back and forth a couple of hundred repetitions and then use the feed
> override to vary the frequency. Works perfectly.

That's what I was doing. Except the feedrate override part. Hadn't
thought of that. I was editing the program.

> When I tuned mine I
> used EMC and just cut and pasted the same 2 few lines of code to
make it
> run for a while. In my case the tuning was without a scope, but I
did
> drive the motors as Mariss outlines in his tuning instructions.

What do you mean by "I did drive the motors as Mariss outlines in his
tuning instructions."? Is that the pulse generator part? I was using
a bit of g-code that goes
G01 G90 F6
X0.00
X0.10
X0.00
X0.10
X0.00
and so on. Maybe I need to go

G01 G90 F6
X0.00
add a pause
X0.10
add a pause
X0.00
add a pause
X0.10
add a pause
X0.00
using the correct M code for the pause.

You tuned without a scope? What, if anything did you use to put a
load on the motor shaft while tuning? I was using a 8.75" long tap
handle that weighs about 8 oz. Even that seemed like a lot of weight
for the motor to flip back and forth (maybe that is another mistake).
Dan makes it sound like he uses about 2 lb handwheels.

I don't know how the motors are supposed to feel when the drivers are
tuned correctly. I could have (I most likely did have them tuned
right at some point) had them tuned right, but didn't know it because
I'm not sure of what I'm looking for. It seems by using a scope it
would be pretty cut and dry, get the waveform you are done.

Thanks,
Monte

Discussion Thread

Monte Westlund 2003-03-11 22:43:03 UTC Pulse generator and tuning Gecko 320 drivers.... Tim Goldstein 2003-03-11 23:31:19 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Pulse generator and tuning Gecko 320 drivers.... Monte Westlund 2003-03-12 06:04:32 UTC Re: Pulse generator and tuning Gecko 320 drivers.... dakota8833 2003-03-12 06:50:41 UTC Re: Pulse generator and tuning Gecko 320 drivers.... Tim Goldstein 2003-03-12 08:15:10 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Pulse generator and tuning Gecko 320 drivers....