CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: thinking about a sherline conversion

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 2000-02-26 09:20:16 UTC
Here is my $.02 for what it is worth.

Buy one of Dan's Camtronics 2 amp controllers
http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/ ).
Here are the reasons:
It is plenty beefy for a Sherline
He is on the list and will help you out
He is a good guy to deal with
He specializes in this motion control stuff for us hobbyists
He will answer your questions in a way you can understand
Dan has a series of articles in Nuts N Volts that will walk you through
building it step by step.

Get Dan's Sherline mounting adapters.
Get some 100 in/oz or so steppers from Dan.

Pick any software you feel comfortable with. Yes, Linux is a pain and I
laugh every time I hear the news talking about how it is real competition
for Microsoft, but EMC is so good that I am willing to put up with it on my
machine controller.

Hope that gives you some ideas. Herback is a great company to deal with, but
they are a surplus house and will not have the level of support or expertise
that Dan can give you on the controller.

Tim
[Denver, CO]

timg@... <mailto:timg@...>
http://www.ktmarketing.com