CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Half Coil

Posted by Tony Jeffree
on 2003-03-20 00:44:16 UTC
At 13:55 19/03/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Reading past posts on running steppers in 'Half Coil' configuration has
>left me a little confused.
>If configured in 'Half Coil' can the amps be doubled? Run at 1.414 times
>rated? Name plate amp rating never exceeded?
>
>I have PacSci PowerMax II motors rated 0.82 amp., Max Vdc = 65, 31 watts.
>Currently setup on 24 volts, 0.75amps, 1/8 step with Xylotex
>driver. Would like a little more power output.
>PJH

The current cannot be doubled. If you are using 8-wire motors, then you can
wire the coils in parallel; in this configuration, you may be able to get
away with a multiplier of 1.414, but this will depend greatly on the
characteristics of the motor. If they are 6-wire motors, then do not exceed
the name plate amp rating.

The point about the parallel config is that it halves the winding
resistance; you can therefore increase the current by 1.414 and still get
the same resistive heating in the coils. However, as Mariss will tell you,
this may result in the microstepping becoming significantly less linear,
due to magnetic saturation effects, so it may result in the motors running
much less smoothly than they do at the name plate amp rating.

Regards,
Tony

Discussion Thread

P. J. Hicks 2003-03-19 14:26:43 UTC Half Coil Tony Jeffree 2003-03-20 00:44:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Half Coil turbulatordude 2003-03-20 05:16:35 UTC Re: Half Coil