CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC routing cutting extruded acrylic

on 2003-03-28 11:54:44 UTC
Are you using a NEW SHARP carbide wood router bit ?

Plastics are abrasive and will wear the edges. heat from the cutting
will melt the chips. dull tools will heat more.

you did not say if you were slot cutting or perfiral cutting. slot
cutting leaves the chips in the way and they get hot from being cut,
then melt from the second cut they get when they get pulled back into
the work.

If you have compressed air try blowing the chips away, or a vacuum
might pull them away from the cutter.

Also how deep is your feed ? too shallow might result in smaller
chips that get hotter faster.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "cdoughtynz" <cdoughty@p...>
wrote:
> Can some one help,
> I am having trouble router cutting extruded acrylic sheet, 3/8"
> thick, the cutter clogs up and produces a bad finish.
> I have tried different cutters, and different feeds without any joy.
> Regards Colin

Discussion Thread

cdoughtynz 2003-03-27 11:11:22 UTC CNC routing cutting extruded acrylic Russ Waters 2003-03-27 12:37:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC routing cutting extruded acrylic hamlertools 2003-03-28 06:52:57 UTC Re: CNC routing cutting extruded acrylic turbulatordude 2003-03-28 11:54:44 UTC Re: CNC routing cutting extruded acrylic CL 2003-03-29 08:04:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC routing cutting extruded acrylic