CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC & Wire EDM? - archive

on 2003-04-08 07:48:08 UTC
Hi Ray,

I know there are EDM threads in here somewhere, but the group name
makes every search a hit on every post !

I'm in the process of downloading the entire list into excel so I can
actually search the posts for the stuff I want to find.

It looks like a project for a database, but alas, I have no database
experiance.

It seems like there could be a wire edm software similar to the foam
cutting software for the single applicaiton.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Henry <rehenry@u...>

<benedict@h...>

> > wrote:
> > > I've been considering tackling a wire EDM.  I'd prefer four axis
> > > control, but honestly I think I'd be doing good with two.
> > >
> > > My CAM software will handle wire EDM just fine (yeah, I'm using
> > > Vector).  But I don't currently have control software that'll do
> >
> > the job.
> >

> > > I was planning on building a power supply similar to the one
Robert
> > > Langlois described in his book published by Village Press.  In
> > > particular, I liked that it had a signal line that would go
high if
> > > the wire drew too much current (shorted), and another that
would go
> > > high if it drew too little (stopped cutting).  In his book,
which
> > > described a ram EDM, these two lines controlled the ram.
> > >
> > > A wire EDM is a little more complicated.  If the wire shorts,
you
> > > don't just retract the ram, you have to stop or move the wire
back
> > > along the toolpath.
> > >
> > > Ideally I'd like to use software that's designed with an EDM in
> >
> > mind.
> >
> > >  I'd like it to be able to listen for high or low current draw,
and
> > > act accordingly.
> > >
> > > If anyone here has made a wire EDM, I'd be curious what your
> > > experiences were.  I'm not going to tackle this without a lot
more
> > > thought on the matter, so the more you can tell me the merrier
I'll

> > be.
> >

> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Tom
> >
> > I've been thinking on the same lines.  what is needed is a
software
> > that will accept the input from the voltage monitoring circuit of
the
> > EDM to adjust cutting path speed.  the math of where to go is
done by
> > the software, but speed is dependant on the EDM circuit.
> >
> > Another feature you mention is cutting path reversal.  on a
sinker,
> > that is simple, one axis, but on a wire, it is 2 axis reversal.
> >
> > Some high end packages look ahead 150 steps of code or so, in
order
> > to maintain very smooth movements.  this would need look ahead
> > and 'remember' the last "X" number of lines for that reverse path.
> >
> > Master5/Mach1, has recently introduced the first step but it was
> > really designed for plasma cutting.  ie: the plasma cutting
circuit
> > moved the head up and down, but the software keeps tabs of the
exact
> > location.
> >
> > There is a need for this, and hopefully the answer is not in the
high
> > dollar software packages.
> >
> > Dave
>
> Roland (Cardinal Engineering) and I have been working on a plan to
retrofit
> his two axis Agie with the EMC. We've got the idea that it might
make a nice
> article for HSM. EMC is easier to do this with because it's source
is open
> and the price is just right.
>
> Monitoring two pins like you suggest and issuing feedrate commands
would be
> trivial with processes like tkio and iosh which are already in the
code.
> Watching an analog spark current signal is a bit more trouble but
still
> doable.
>
> Reversing using the g-code is not trivial if you are using wire
diameter
> offsetting but it would be fairly easy if we used a toolpath and
file routine
> like tkbackplot uses.
>
> There have been threads on control for this both here and on the
emc list.

> Ray Henry

Discussion Thread

inetd_conf 2003-04-07 17:14:30 UTC EMC & Wire EDM? kdoney_63021 2003-04-07 17:53:32 UTC Re: EMC & Wire EDM? turbulatordude 2003-04-07 19:58:56 UTC Re: EMC & Wire EDM? Ray Henry 2003-04-08 07:12:34 UTC Re: Re: EMC & Wire EDM? turbulatordude 2003-04-08 07:48:08 UTC Re: EMC & Wire EDM? - archive Jon Elson 2003-04-08 10:23:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC & Wire EDM? - archive Ray Henry 2003-04-09 21:51:28 UTC Re: Re: EMC & Wire EDM? - archive turbulatordude 2003-04-10 04:40:21 UTC Re: EMC & Wire EDM? - reverse toolpath