CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC & Wire EDM? - reverse toolpath

on 2003-04-10 04:40:21 UTC
Hi Ray,

If you think foam cutting as very similar to wire EDM, you can see
that if you were cutting a curve and wanted to stop, you cannot just
send an axis to home, it would cut across the part.

the only way to get the cutter out of the part would be to reverse
the direction and follow the cut line out of the part.

in EDM, the electrode cannot arc on the part, if it does, it is too
close and needs to back off a little. in wire EDM that toolpath
might be on some part of some gear tooth. Since the wire needs to be
free from contact to spark, it is imperitive that it is in an open
section. this would be the last section of the cut. so the software
would have to be capable of not only reversing direction, but also to
run the toolpath in reverse from any point in the program.

Probably not terribly difficult knowing it is strictly a 2 axis move,
but it would need to tested. AND zero comp would need to be dead on
for the table.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Henry <rehenry@u...>
wrote:

> Dave
>
> I don't know much about foam cutting but I thought that you did not
need to
> backtrack. I would think that foam cutting would be very easy in
most any of
> the CNC programs that we deal with in these parts. Unless you
wanted to
> control feedrate by the drag on the hot wire.
>
> Ray
>

> On Wednesday 09 April 2003 07:44 am, you wrote:
> > Message: 5
> >    Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 14:48:04 -0000
> >    From: "turbulatordude" <davemucha@j...>
> > Subject: Re: EMC & Wire EDM? - archive
> >
> > Hi Ray,
> >
> > I know there are EDM threads in here somewhere, but the group name
> > makes every search a hit on every post !
> >
> > I'm in the process of downloading the entire list into excel so I
can
> > actually search the posts for the stuff I want to find.
> >
> > It looks like a project for a database, but alas, I have no
database
> > experiance.
> >
> > It seems like there could be a wire edm software similar to the
foam
> > cutting software for the single applicaiton.
> >

> > Dave

Discussion Thread

inetd_conf 2003-04-07 17:14:30 UTC EMC & Wire EDM? kdoney_63021 2003-04-07 17:53:32 UTC Re: EMC & Wire EDM? turbulatordude 2003-04-07 19:58:56 UTC Re: EMC & Wire EDM? Ray Henry 2003-04-08 07:12:34 UTC Re: Re: EMC & Wire EDM? turbulatordude 2003-04-08 07:48:08 UTC Re: EMC & Wire EDM? - archive Jon Elson 2003-04-08 10:23:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC & Wire EDM? - archive Ray Henry 2003-04-09 21:51:28 UTC Re: Re: EMC & Wire EDM? - archive turbulatordude 2003-04-10 04:40:21 UTC Re: EMC & Wire EDM? - reverse toolpath