CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: lighting cables for CNC

on 2003-04-13 05:19:34 UTC
Hi Andrew,

cables to your motors need to meed a few requirements.

#1, the wire must be sized to carry the max current the motor will
see. oversizing is not a problem.

#2 the wire must be flexable, and be rated for flexable use.

I have some 18ga 4 conductor stranded wire that is hard to bend and
really made to bend easy for installation, and is not rated for
repeated moevemns on a CNC machine. It's great for fixed motors and
switches and moving things around, but it is stiff.

home extention cords on the other hand are very flexable, rated for
that type of use.

If you are having problems soldering them, considder crimping with
some crimp connector and then soldering that onto your pins.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "andrewyslee"
<andrewlee@s...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As a greenhorn, when I first stared wiring up motor cables, I took
> the trouble to look for cables with hefty cross-section, ended up
> using what they called automobile cable or something. But these are
> hard to solder onto the connector pins.
>
> I had a look at the Nema23 2amp wires and they were pretty wimpy,
and
> it looks like they have about the same cross-section as those
cables
> for domestic lights (220VAC). Like to fish for comments on the
> suitability of these lighting cables for motor usage.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Andrew

Discussion Thread

andrewyslee 2003-04-13 03:04:26 UTC lighting cables for CNC turbulatordude 2003-04-13 05:19:34 UTC Re: lighting cables for CNC caudlet 2003-04-13 07:46:00 UTC Re: lighting cables for CNC Nigel Christianson 2003-04-13 09:43:33 UTC Re: lighting cables for CNC