CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: lighting cables for CNC

on 2003-04-13 09:43:33 UTC
Hi Andrew

Something like .75 mm2 (lighting flex) is fine for stepper motors.
Because they are current driven a little bit of loss in the cable
does not hurt, however you do need to be able carry 1.5 to 2 amps
(typical for most cnc steppers) per phase so you can't get away with
telephone wire or alarm cable. Try the electrical wholesalers you
may be able to get some 6 - 10 wire control cable where each wire is
a different colour and about .5 mm2. It makes life easier than using
twin flex and having to buzz it out after you loom it up as a cable.

On you server problem, if you are really keen on using it for win98
then format a floppy on the other system you have access to and check
the include system files check box. Put it in your server and reboot
it. You should then get the A: prompt. Type format c: which will
take everything off your c drive. When that is done put your startup
floppy back in and try installing win 98 again.

Cheers
Nigel

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "andrewyslee"
<andrewlee@s...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As a greenhorn, when I first stared wiring up motor cables, I took
> the trouble to look for cables with hefty cross-section, ended up
> using what they called automobile cable or something. But these are
> hard to solder onto the connector pins.
>
> I had a look at the Nema23 2amp wires and they were pretty wimpy,
and
> it looks like they have about the same cross-section as those
cables
> for domestic lights (220VAC). Like to fish for comments on the
> suitability of these lighting cables for motor usage.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Andrew

Discussion Thread

andrewyslee 2003-04-13 03:04:26 UTC lighting cables for CNC turbulatordude 2003-04-13 05:19:34 UTC Re: lighting cables for CNC caudlet 2003-04-13 07:46:00 UTC Re: lighting cables for CNC Nigel Christianson 2003-04-13 09:43:33 UTC Re: lighting cables for CNC