CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: lighting cables for CNC

Posted by caudlet
on 2003-04-13 07:46:00 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "andrewyslee"
<andrewlee@s...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As a greenhorn, when I first stared wiring up motor cables, I took
> the trouble to look for cables with hefty cross-section, ended up
> using what they called automobile cable or something. But these are
> hard to solder onto the connector pins.
>
> I had a look at the Nema23 2amp wires and they were pretty wimpy,
and
> it looks like they have about the same cross-section as those
cables
> for domestic lights (220VAC). Like to fish for comments on the
> suitability of these lighting cables for motor usage.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Andrew

Wire is rated by resistance per 1000ft and possible losses over the
distance you plan to run. There are charts on the WEB that will tell
you the recommended min wire size for a given distance at a given
current draw. Using larger wire than is needed returns a diminishing
value. The chart I consulted listed 18Ga as sufficent for runs up to
25Ft. While ZIP cord (lamp cord) is certainly usable it presents a
challenge in that it is not easy to solder (crimp connectors
preferred) and it is not color coded so wire tracing is a problem.
BTW, since wire is rated by AMPS and heat rise that is *average*
current draw over time. That means unless you are running your
motors wide open all of the time (max speed, max load) then your
average current draw will be much less.

I just recently purchased a large lot of Surplus cable still on
spools. In it is 2, 4 and more conductor shielded and non-shielded
wire of all types. There is lots of 18 and 16GA 2 and 4 conductor
foil shielded wire. Contact me off list if you need some at a good
price.

Discussion Thread

andrewyslee 2003-04-13 03:04:26 UTC lighting cables for CNC turbulatordude 2003-04-13 05:19:34 UTC Re: lighting cables for CNC caudlet 2003-04-13 07:46:00 UTC Re: lighting cables for CNC Nigel Christianson 2003-04-13 09:43:33 UTC Re: lighting cables for CNC