CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Best way to enlarge a DXF drawing for cutting tool paths?

Posted by rainnea
on 2003-04-13 10:09:38 UTC
Mark,

You don't say what software you're using, but I assume its a CAD as
opposed to a CAM program.
I use an Offset function on the Spline in 3DS MAX, most if not all
CAD programs and Corel Draw and other vector drawing programs will
have a function that will do this, maybe called offset, outline or
contour.
CAM specific programs will usually do tool radius compensation
in their own way, as will many controllers.

Regards,

Rab
http://www.rainnea.com/cnc.htm

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Roberts" <mark@f...>
wrote:
> Hi All:
> Regarding cutting wooden parts on a HobbyCNC 3 axis mill:
>
> What is the best way to enlarge a part on a DXF file to compensate
for
> the tool width? I have parts for an airplane I wish to cut. In
ModelCAD
> (or any other drawing program) if I select the part and use
the "scale"
> option, and I scale the selected part by 1/2 the bit size (i.e.: I
scale
> the part up 0.015625 -- 1/2 of the 1/32 inch cutting tool--), I get
an
> uneven result. The length and width scaled do not even come close
to the
> 0.015625 outline I am trying to achieve. All I want to do is get a
> 0.015625 outline of the part I am wanting to cut, and put that
outline
> on a different layer so as to use that layer for the tool path.
>
> Any suggestions? What do you all do to compensate for the tool size?
>
> Thanks for helping a newbie!
>
> Mark

Discussion Thread

Mark Roberts 2003-04-13 09:43:17 UTC Best way to enlarge a DXF drawing for cutting tool paths? rainnea 2003-04-13 10:09:38 UTC Re: Best way to enlarge a DXF drawing for cutting tool paths? caudlet 2003-04-13 10:23:59 UTC Re: Best way to enlarge a DXF drawing for cutting tool paths? Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-04-13 15:18:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best way to enlarge a DXF drawing for cutting tool paths? Mark Roberts 2003-04-13 17:46:39 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best way to enlarge a DXF drawing for cutting tool paths? Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-04-14 10:40:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best way to enlarge a DXF drawing for cutting tool paths? Raymond Heckert 2003-04-14 17:41:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best way to enlarge a DXF drawing for cutting tool paths?