CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best way to enlarge a DXF drawing for cutting tool paths?

Posted by Mark Roberts
on 2003-04-13 17:46:39 UTC
Thanks Everyone:

Alan, I found the CNC for Hobbyist file and downloaded it. Thanks for
the tip. The learning curve is a bit awkward right now, and as soon as I
can identify the coordinates, I'll forward them on. It should make a
nice wall plaque :o)

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Marconett KM6VV [mailto:KM6VV@...]
Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2003 3:18 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best way to enlarge a DXF drawing for
cutting tool paths?

Hi Mark,

What you want to do is use offsets, not scaling. If you have a line,
offset another line by 1/2 the tool dia. to the outside of the part
outline. If there is a curved surface, then increase the radius of the
arc by 1/2 the tool dia. Got a square corner? Swing an arc around it.
You guessed it, 1/2 the tool dia.

You might want to check out the white paper "CNC for Hobbyists" I posted
in the files section.

HTH

Alan KM6VV

Mark Roberts wrote:

> Hi All:
> Regarding cutting wooden parts on a HobbyCNC 3 axis mill:
>
> What is the best way to enlarge a part on a DXF file to compensate for

> the tool width? I have parts for an airplane I wish to cut. In
> ModelCAD (or any other drawing program) if I select the part and use
> the "scale" option, and I scale the selected part by 1/2 the bit size
> (i.e.: I scale the part up 0.015625 -- 1/2 of the 1/32 inch cutting
> tool--), I get an uneven result. The length and width scaled do not
> even come close to the 0.015625 outline I am trying to achieve. All I
> want to do is get a 0.015625 outline of the part I am wanting to cut,
> and put that outline on a different layer so as to use that layer for
> the tool path.
>
> Any suggestions? What do you all do to compensate for the tool size?
>
> Thanks for helping a newbie!
>
> Mark

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

timg@...
Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it
if you have trouble.

sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there,
for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM.
DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........ bill
List Mom List Owner

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Discussion Thread

Mark Roberts 2003-04-13 09:43:17 UTC Best way to enlarge a DXF drawing for cutting tool paths? rainnea 2003-04-13 10:09:38 UTC Re: Best way to enlarge a DXF drawing for cutting tool paths? caudlet 2003-04-13 10:23:59 UTC Re: Best way to enlarge a DXF drawing for cutting tool paths? Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-04-13 15:18:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best way to enlarge a DXF drawing for cutting tool paths? Mark Roberts 2003-04-13 17:46:39 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best way to enlarge a DXF drawing for cutting tool paths? Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-04-14 10:40:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best way to enlarge a DXF drawing for cutting tool paths? Raymond Heckert 2003-04-14 17:41:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best way to enlarge a DXF drawing for cutting tool paths?