CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Is This True or Bad Information

Posted by caudlet
on 2003-04-16 18:04:42 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "mikenln2000"
<msheeley43@m...> wrote:
> This is a letter forwarded to me by a friend, he knows I am in the
> process of converting a homier mini mill to cnc, using stepper
> motors and The Motion Group 4 amp three axes controller and a
> laptop... I am making my drawings with autocad and coverting them
on
> bobcad and turning them into g-code, the contoller runs maxnc and
> seems to operated fine with motors hooked up and running with the
> code on the kitchen counter, still have to get the pullys and
belts,
> make the brackets and mount the motors, limit swithes, optical
> homing switches. What are your comments about this letter forwarded
> to me. Should I give up on my project or proceed full steam ahead.
> Mikenln
>
> Dear William,
>
> The deceiving part about the CAD CAM world is that in order to
> make
> most parts yourself (without sending them out) you need to know
> two
> programs. The first program like Artcam, Rhine Matrix,
> Cimigraphy and
> Type3 does the design work producing all the dimension and
> surface
> relief of the item. The second program runs the CNC mill or
solid
> modeling machine and turns the design program file into an
actual
> item. This is not the case with every system, but is most of the
> time. With any CNC mill the most important part no mater what
> anyone
> says is the speed of the spindle. If the speed is not up around
> 15,000 rpm don't but it.
>
> Best Regards,
> Todd Hawkinson

You have everything you need to do basic machining, engraving and
profile cutting using what you have. You didn't state what you want
to make. If you want to 3D modeling/production then you have to step
up into some of the higher end packages. I can't address the
specific brands of software he mentioned with the exception of
ArtCam. It is a CAM package. It will import DXF or EPS vector files
as well as bitmaps and spit out g-code files of anything you are
patient enough to design. It is really two programs in one. It will
let you select closed vectors and either do the pocket type of
cutting or you can pick "sculpting" type definitions and build up
relief or recessed type carvings. It also allows you to import
bitmaps and use the colors as defined depths and carving styles. It
has some other features for Jewelry design. The last version I saw
was 4.0 and they are up to 5.5 I think. It is pretty high dollar
software (REAL high for a hobbiest) so if your goal is not making
things you can sell, you may want to look at other packages. There
are some really cool 3D modeling and g-code generation software
available. Take a look at Rhino3D for doing the drawing or turning
your 2D CAD stuff into 3D format. Visual Mill 4.0 is well though of
on the list. Dolphin is mentioned often as well.

Yes, the CAM side of this is probably the most challenging, but many
of the list members are going some pretty amazing stuff (5 axis
machines, etc) that are home built. Don't get discouraged. You will
have some frustrations getting everything working just like you want
it but when you see real objects being cut, it will be worth it!

I have to assume that the 15,000 RPM warning was for precious metal
engraving or wood. Many other materials are cut at lower speeds and
it depends on the diameter of the cutter, the type of material, and
the feed rate (how fast the cutter is moving along the cut path).
There are optimum RPM and cut rates for each type of cutter. Charts
are available and the Machinist's Handbook lists them all.

Give us an idea of what you want to make and we can give better
advice. If it's not possible to do it with a homebuilt CNC machine
then about 3600 people are wasting their time!! (:<