CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: How do I add CNC to a lathe? - To James and others

Posted by washcomp
on 2003-04-25 14:56:51 UTC
Jan:

I'm not sure of the original derivation of the term Slo-Syn. Sigma
motors competed with Superior Electric and then was purchased by them
many years ago (and now Superior has been purchased by Danaher who
seems to be buying many of the smaller companies in the motion
control field). The major pragmatic difference that I've seen
between the two lines on their NEMA 42 stepper motors is that the
terminal numbering designations (at least on 8 connection steppers)
are different. Since using the term Slo-Syn could be ambiguous and
someone could copy my connections using a Superior Electric stepper
and have problems, I was careful to state that the connections were
for the version as manufactured by Sigma. Both brands were used on
Bridgeport milling machines at about the same time frame. My motors
were unmarked and when I originally identified them as Slo-Syn, the
readings I got with my ohm meter didn't make any sense when I
compared them to what was expected from Superior's motors. I was
challenged for some time before an "old timer" at Superior (who used
to work for Sigma when they were still around) dug up the proper
configuration for me. I have since learned slight physical
differences between the two to help identify which is which (the
terminal screw layouts are slightly different for example).

Hope this helps,
Jeff

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, JanRwl@A... wrote:
> In a message dated 4/25/2003 11:45:27 AM Central Standard Time,
> jeff@w... writes:
>
> > Stepper motor wiring shown for NEMA 42 Sigma SloSyn motors used
by
> > Bridgeport
> > (Different terminals than Superior Electric)
>
> Jeff: I am confused here: Isn't "SloSyn" a trade-name of
Superior???

> Jan Rowland

washcomp 2003-04-24 10:17:02 UTC How do I add CNC to a lathe? Markwayne 2003-04-24 16:17:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How do I add CNC to a lathe? Harvey White 2003-04-24 19:37:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How do I add CNC to a lathe? James Owens 2003-04-25 07:29:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How do I add CNC to a lathe? washcomp 2003-04-25 09:37:34 UTC Re: How do I add CNC to a lathe? - To James and others JanRwl@A... 2003-04-25 12:44:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How do I add CNC to a lathe? - To James and others washcomp 2003-04-25 14:56:51 UTC Re: How do I add CNC to a lathe? - To James and others