CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Pinging Jon Elson

Posted by ccq@x...
on 2003-04-29 22:55:48 UTC
On Tue Apr 29 21:36:48 2003 Jon Elson wrote:

>ccq@... wrote:
>
>>>(Kevin: I now have a semi-portable mini-mill hooked up to gecko drivers and
>>>my universal stepper board. It performs great. Anyone who is willing
>>>to drive
>>>the distance to my home (St. Louis-area residents have an advantage there)
>>>is welcome to drop by and see it.)
>>>
>>>Jon
>>>

>>Yo Jon;
>>
>>What variety of mini-mill is it?
>>

>I got the Wholesale Tool mini-mill, it seems everybody (Harbor Freight,
>Homier,
>etc.) is selling it, too.

Check out Grizly's new bigger, fancier, 625 pound version. It costs about 3
times the mini-mill price. It's item # G0519,

> It has the dovetail vertical slide and a
>swivel to tilt the
>vertical slide left and right. I carved up some XL belt sprockets to
>fit where the
>adjustable dials on the handwheels usually go. It ran great at NAMES, and
>everybody was amazed to see me jogging it around at 90 IPM (48000
>steps/second
>into the Gecko 201A driver, giving 4800 full steps/second on the motor, or
>1440 RPM). At the end of the show, it started bogging down, I will have to
>clean the screws and slides and relube them. Black grit keeps coming out
>of the roughly machined castings.

Hmmm, not sure I like the sound of that. Sounds like it would be worth
re-boring, and sleeving with something tougher, or some such procedure.

> I didn't get a chance to CNC the Z axis,
>so I still have to do that.
>
>Jon

If you check the cnc mini-mill list at yahoogroups, about a couple months back,
there's a thread about that. Seems to do it the regular way, you hace to carve
out some of the beef to install a ball screw. There was someone trying to come
up with a bolt on kit, with the screw on the side, but they had to regrind the
ways, because that was causing the z axis to bind. They had some other issues,
too, but that was the main thing. I posted a message around the start of the
month, asking what the status of the project was, but haven't received a reply.
It might be a bit finiky to set up, but it seems to me that if a bolt on setup
was wanted, you could put a screw on each side, and drive them with the same
timing chain.

Bill

--
RKBA! ***** Blessings On Thee, Oh Israel! ***** 4-19!

Constitutional Government is dead; LONG LIVE THE CONSTITUTION!!!!!

kdoney_63021 2003-04-28 13:23:20 UTC Pinging Jon Elson alex 2003-04-28 14:01:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Pinging Jon Elson Jon Elson 2003-04-29 12:19:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Pinging Jon Elson ccq@x... 2003-04-29 13:24:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Pinging Jon Elson Jon Elson 2003-04-29 21:36:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Pinging Jon Elson ccq@x... 2003-04-29 22:55:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Pinging Jon Elson Harvey White 2003-04-30 10:52:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Pinging Jon Elson