CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Tool holders

on 2003-05-20 06:17:18 UTC
Hi Mina;

I only have a couple of comments as I do not recognize that lather brand
at all.

First I would imagine that the tool holder could be replaced. If not,
and you can't mount modern inserts, the unit from my perspective would
be useless.

You mention that the lathe is old, so do not consider the purchase
unless you have the ability to inspect it for wear. Do to the nature
of their usage CNC machines often wear in very specific areas.
Disregard this if you have the ability to rebuild the unit.
Knowledge of the machines history is always a good idea.

Before I would count on the motors or controllers I would try to find
out more about them. Specifically are they using resolver feedback.
Replacement of the motors may be required and may be a smart move anyways.

EMC is open source so in theory you can configure it, via a little
programming, to do what ever you want. I can't answer the question of
wether this is practical.

As far as starting your hobbie this way I'd say it is a matter of how
much room you have more than anything. That and the willingness to
put money and time into it. This could be a cheap project or a very
expensive one, don't really know until the machine is torn down a bit.

Dave