CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] rotopuloser

bradley arthur wrote:

>doe's anyone have any idea what a photo rotopulser, or a servo disc motor might be.

A servo disc motor is a servo motor made with an ironless rotor in the
form of a disc.
One common make (Honeywell, Kolmorgen, Micro-Switch, etc.) uses a round
printed
circuit board with the armature conductors formed by the printed circuit
traces.
These motors have very low inertia, and were the first choice for
capstan drive for
open-reel computer tape drives. Since the inertia of the several inches
of tape between
the vacuum buffers was practically zero, a motor of very low inertia was
required
to accelerate the tape with reasonable power requirements.

There are several other ways of making ironless rotor disc motors, such
as forming
windings of copper wire and embedding them in epoxy. There were a bunch of
patents on these from the '60s and '70s.

I can only guess a photo rotopulser is some sort of optical encoder or
tachometer.

bradley arthur 2003-05-22 04:59:51 UTC rotopuloser Jon Elson 2003-05-22 08:57:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] rotopuloser