CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Boss 9 Help needed.

no falloff wrote:

>I recently was given a CNC Bridgeport series ll with a Boss 9 controller to use on the condition that I get it working. My first thought was to us a PC as the controller running EMC or mach1. Either way I’m starting from scratch, and at the bottom of the learning curve. Can anyone point me to some resources for info on both fixing this machine and better yet using an external PC as a controller with this machine?

Well, obviously, first off, what is wrong with it? Computer problems,
power supply, servo amps, motors, or what?

The Boss 9 is a very late model machine, with good servo amps, truly FINE
servo motors, and a crummy, old-school control.

I would suggest EMC, and (umm, blowing my own horn, here) the
http://jelinux.pico-systems.com/PPMC.html interface boards.
These provide the analog velocity commands to the servo amps,
reads position from the encoders, and controls the auxilliary I/O,
like spindle, coolant, amp enable, etc.

See http://www.linuxcnc.org/ for more info on EMC.

no falloff 2003-05-22 06:25:56 UTC Boss 9 Help needed. Jon Elson 2003-05-22 09:03:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Boss 9 Help needed. Matt Shaver 2003-05-22 09:47:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Boss 9 Help needed.