CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Low Cost 3D CAD

Posted by dave_at_cpr
on 2003-05-29 07:04:39 UTC
Hello Bob,

This is a good suggestion. I did find one manufacturing shop that
does their estimates over the Internet. You send them an STL file
and they will send you a quote. This is a case where I would have to
have the design completed prior to getting a quote. Without the
design, wouldn't it be tough to get a quote? or can they just go off
of a back of the envelope description with rough dimensions and
material specs?

Thanks,
Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "cnc_user" <cnc_user@y...>
wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I would take a different approach and work from the finished part
> backwards to design.
>
> I would research who was going to make the part for me at a cost
that
> I thought was reasonable and then match my design to their
> manufacturing requirements. (ie cnc milling, injection moulding or
> casting.
>
> This would give you a better idea about how to proceed with you
> cad/cam package requirements. No sense spending time and money only
> find out you have to redo everything.
>
> Just my thoughts,
> Bob Harvey
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "dave_at_cpr" <dnowery@y...>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just joined the group and thought someone here could help me.
> >
> > I have an idea for a product that I believe I could sell in a
decent
> > quantity (100-200/month) made out of aluminum or hard plastic
> > depending on costs, etc.
> >
> > I have the design in my head and want to prepare a 3D design
using a
> > rather inexpensise CAD program.
> >
> > I have a couple of questions:
> > 1)What software should I use to generate a file that can later be
> > read by a small manufacturer to produce these parts? (The design
is
> > fairly simple but not trivial. I have a background in
engineering
> > and have used a high-end package (Ideas) in a previous job about
10
> > years ago so I'm sure I could learn the software fairly easily)
> >
> > 2)Would it be better to outsource the design services as well?
(If
> > this is a one-time development effort then I wouldn't want to
invest
> > a lot of money in a CAD package that would collect dust.)
> >
> > I have heard of some manufacturing outfits that do rapid
prototyping
> > that like to use STL files, but I also know that the AutoCAD DXF
> > format is still very popular.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> > Dave

Discussion Thread

dave_at_cpr 2003-05-27 00:17:39 UTC Low Cost 3D CAD glee@i... 2003-05-27 00:50:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Low Cost 3D CAD pcfw 2003-05-27 01:01:18 UTC Re: Low Cost 3D CAD pcfw 2003-05-27 01:08:04 UTC Re: Low Cost 3D CAD pcfw 2003-05-27 01:10:10 UTC Re: Low Cost 3D CAD cnc_user 2003-05-27 13:20:07 UTC Re: Low Cost 3D CAD dave_at_cpr 2003-05-29 07:04:39 UTC Re: Low Cost 3D CAD turbulatordude 2003-05-29 08:27:39 UTC Re: Low Cost 3D CAD wanliker@a... 2003-05-29 13:34:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Low Cost 3D CAD