CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: What's a good speed for a rotary table?..More info - feed rate

on 2003-05-30 18:55:28 UTC
From the cutter side of things, figure out what your fastest cutting
speed is in a straight line on your material. if you cut 25ipm and
that works great, then figure out what speed you need to get the
material past the cutter at the same inches per minute on the rotary.

for metal, I figure how deep a cut per flute for feed rate. taking
0.001" per flute is 500 revolutions per inch for a 2 flute cutter.
cutter speed dictates ipm table feed rate.

it would seem you have the choice to vary the speed of the table, or
to vary the speed of the router and get the same depth of cut per
flute.

and, it would seem that if you already have some good numbers on your
materials, you can calculate the table speed pretty easily.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "tig415" <tig416@e...> wrote:

> Hi
> Thanks for the responses.
> Ok here's some more info. It's a Yuasa 6" table. 90 turns = 360 deg
> table rotation. I'm using Mach2 as my control program and I plan on
> getting Visual mill as the Gcode program. I router wood, plastic,
> solidsurface as well as aluminum. I also have a BP clone that I
plan
> to use it on in the future. I have a couple of extra servo motors
> and an extra Gecko 340 that I plan to use to drive it. I'd like to
> use the smaller of the two motors to drive the table if I can.
> I'm trying to avoid setting this up and the wishing I had done
> something different in motor/pully ratio choices.
> I realize if I'm just using it for indexing the speed and power
is
> not as critical. I'm hoping to use it for 3d rotational work as
well.
> Like carving a spiral in a post.
>
> Thanks again
> Derek

Discussion Thread

tig415 2003-05-30 03:43:28 UTC WhatÂ’s a good speed for a rotary table? ccq@x... 2003-05-30 07:35:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's_a_good__speed_for_a_rotary_table? tig415 2003-05-30 10:56:03 UTC Re: What's a good speed for a rotary table?..More info caudlet 2003-05-30 18:24:29 UTC Re: What's a good speed for a rotary table?..More info turbulatordude 2003-05-30 18:55:28 UTC Re: What's a good speed for a rotary table?..More info - feed rate doug98105 2003-05-30 19:18:39 UTC Re: What's a good speed for a rotary table?..More info