CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Choice of Mill

MDS1878 wrote:

>I've used a variety of machines, and the one big thing I want to say
>is that you need some way of adjusting the distance between the head
>and the table without losing the XY position. Any machine where the
>head Swivels around a round column loses the alignment between the
>table and work piece whenever you unclamp the head to raise or lower
>It. If the machine you are looking at does not have a knee (like a
>Bridgeport) and has a round column, you will have this problem, and
>it will drive you nuts!
>
>Jon
>
>An outstanding point and one I had not considered! If I fab a
>bracket install a laser pointer and a set point for alignment. Do
>you think this will resolve the problem?

It seems a little hokey to me, but there is someone on the list who
claims this works like a charm. it would require that the base of the
machine be firmly bolted to something that is essentially unmovable.
If the machine is bolted to a massive bench, and throws a beam
10 feet or more to the wall, that should make for fairly good alignment.
It depends, of course, on what precision you are trying to get.

MDS1878 2003-06-03 00:10:59 UTC Choice of Mill turbulatordude 2003-06-03 06:05:27 UTC Re: Choice of Mill Jon Elson 2003-06-03 09:03:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Choice of Mill MDS1878 2003-06-03 20:16:05 UTC Re: Choice of Mill Jon Elson 2003-06-04 10:58:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Choice of Mill turbulatordude 2003-06-04 12:26:04 UTC Re: Choice of Mill mayfieldtm 2003-06-05 08:17:13 UTC Re: Choice of Mill