CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Machining Ball Screws

on 2003-06-04 19:07:20 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:

> Steven Ciciora wrote:
>
> >How do you guys machine ball bearing lead screws? Over the past
several
> >years I've read about people turning it on a lathe with carbide
tools,
> >grinding off the hardened layer, heating up the end to be machined
> >soften the hardened layer, and shrink-fitting it on to a piece of
machined
> >steel, with sometimes welding it on when done. Now it's time for
me to
> >give it a try. I'm about to order some 5/8" Thomson Saginaw
screws from
> >Reid tool. I have an enco 9"x20" lathe, but they are notorious for
> >flexing, so I'm not sure if it will be up to the task of machining
the ends

The finish with a grinder will be much better than with a solid
cutter. but if you have never ground stuff before in a lathe, do not
expect any large amount of metal removal. turn it to withing about
0.001 to 0.002" max oversized grinding will remove tenths, not
thousandths so the grinding will be slower than cutting. and don't
expect some shower of sparks, this stuff will only dust the metal off.

Dave

> >down.
> >

> I've done this on an Atlas 10" lathe, so it isn't that tough! But,
it
> makes a MUCH
> nicer job if you use a toolpost grinder. You can cut it with sharp
> carbide tools,
> and then finish the diameter and thrust faces with a Dremel held in
the
> toolpost,
> if you don't have a real grinder.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

Graham Stabler 2002-09-30 03:59:44 UTC Machining Ball Screws bjammin@i... 2002-09-30 04:57:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Machining Ball Screws Carl Mikkelsen, Oasis 2002-09-30 05:39:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Machining Ball Screws Marv Frankel 2002-09-30 09:02:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Machining Ball Screws Jon Elson 2003-06-04 11:20:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Machining Ball Screws turbulatordude 2003-06-04 19:07:20 UTC Re: Machining Ball Screws