CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Plexiglass / Clear Polystyrene / Clear Plastics & Prototyping

on 2003-06-08 18:56:49 UTC
Hi Abby:
Were you implying that you're using all three of these materials??
Your post is unclear...it seems to suggest that PVC, polystyrene and
Plexiglas are all the same material; they're not, of course.
May I recommend Acetal (Delrin) as an alternative for machined
prototypes...it's a very strong polymer, that machines beautifully.
It's only downside is that it cannot be easily glued.
PVC is also a good material for prototypes, but it has the drawback that it
releases corrosive gases when it is heated. (even the heat of machining is
enough to create "that smell")
The odour is quite distinctive, and in reasonable concentrations, it will
rust your equipment. (in high concentrations it will injure you!!!)
It machines quite freely, however, and in contrast to Delrin, it glues
readily.
Styrene is the material that is used in the clear components of most plastic
airplane and car models.
It is quite brittle, and does not have very good physical properties...I
don't recommend it.
Plexiglas is acrylic...it is also somewhat brittle, but is very commonly
used for fabricated items that are clear.
I personally prefer polycarbonate for those applications...it is clear as
well, handles similarly to Plexiglas, but has far better impact resistance.
It can be glued and solvent welded as readily as Plexiglas, and machines a
little better.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

Marcus