CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] reality milling

Posted by Parker, Darcy
on 2003-06-17 05:54:35 UTC
Hi Tei,

Turbines are pretty cool. There are many different types. I would recommend starting with a simple one like in a vacuum cleaner or a compressor. This type of turbine can be built with a 2.5 or 3 axis mill.

Then you could get more complicated and build a gas turbine. This may require a 4 or 5 axis mill depending on the geometry. (I would wait until you have studied some differential equations and fluid dynamics before making a gas turbine... but maybe you'll find some plans that are easy to follow.)

As a reality check, I would recommend starting with some simpler projects and work your way up. If you are just learning about cutting metal, I would look at buying a lathe first. You'll save some money at the start and will develop your skills. Then get a 3 axis mill with an option to add a 4th axis. You'll appreciate having both a lathe and mill. If you are eager to get started, a 3 axis mill would be my first choice.

Before making your own turbine, I would suggest finding some existing ones to learn from. You may be able to purchase a gas turbine off the shelf at a hobby store - special ordered. But as I said earlier, I would start by taking apart a scrap vacuum cleaner and extract the turbine/motor. Build a shrowd to go around the turbine - for protection and to direct the flow down the center and then out the sides of the turbine. You could make the shrowd out of fiberglass - which is strong and can be patched. You'll learn alot by experimenting with an existing turbine. I would recommmend getting a variac to regulate the voltage/speed to the motor (if you use AC power to the universal motor that is likely in the vacuum cleaner) or if you choose to use a dc motor, get a variable dc power supply to regulate the voltage/speed. Don't fire it up to full speed/voltage without suitable protection around the turbine. A vacuum turbine with no load will likely turn at 25,000 to 40,000 RPM depending on the model of vacuum you salvage. With the airflow turbine like in a vacuum, you could also begin building your own pitot tubes and manometers for measuring the flow and pressure... You can probably find a simple description of the theory of an airflow turbine - the 'euler type turbine' - in a first course fluid dynamics text book for mechanical engineers. They model the system in 2D and the fluid is assummed to be non-compressible which should be easiest to follow. This is pretty close to the type of turbine used in the vacuum cleaner.

Darcy
-----Original Message-----
From: teilhardo [mailto:teilhardo@...]
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 5:36 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] reality milling

hi,
my name is tei and I am an ambitious 17 year old without a lot of
money. I have been fascinated with turbines but the cost is to great
to buy them so I decided that the best way to get involved was to make
them. I have decided to buy some kind of cnc desktop mill or lathe
(sherline, maxnc, or taig) but i don't know if it can handle cutting
turbines and I don't have a clue how to even start on the task of
milling an impeller so I haven't had the courage to spend $1500 yet.
Can anyone give me any suggestions, hints or reality checks, I'd
really appreciate it.
Thank You

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
bill
List Mom
List Owner