CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: reality milling

Posted by colin_jet
on 2003-06-17 07:14:54 UTC
Tei,

I don't want to pour cold water on your ambitions, but your chances
of success are low, and there is little you could make on a mill
that would be usefull.

I started my turbine model flying by researching everything
available at the time (Schreckling, Kamps, Artes KJ66) and started
to get the parts to build my own engine. Let's just say I decided
that buying a commercial engine was a much better idea (I now have
two Pegasus and one Mercury HP from AMT Netherlands).

In most designs the impeller is from a car turbocharger, the turbine
wheel needs to be an inconel casting which has been x-ray tested.
One thing you could make is the front diffuser on a mill, and the
front cover on a lathe, but you certainly wouldn't get your monies
worth from the mill.

Have a look at this link :- http://www.artesjet.com/components.htm
for parts of a commercially available kit engine. You can buy the
plans and as many or as few parts as you want and make the rest. You
might also like to look up the smaller MW54 and MW44 turbines via
Google. These are available in kit form for little more than you're
looking to spend.

Just trying to be realistic and get you flying in a realistic
timespan.

Remember, a LOT of information can be found via a Google search.

Colin
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "teilhardo" <teilhardo@y...>
wrote:
> hi,
> my name is tei and I am an ambitious 17 year old without a lot of
> money. I have been fascinated with turbines but the cost is to
great
> to buy them so I decided that the best way to get involved was to
make
> them. I have decided to buy some kind of cnc desktop mill or lathe
> (sherline, maxnc, or taig) but i don't know if it can handle
cutting
> turbines and I don't have a clue how to even start on the task of
> milling an impeller so I haven't had the courage to spend $1500
yet.
> Can anyone give me any suggestions, hints or reality checks, I'd
> really appreciate it.
> Thank You

Discussion Thread

teilhardo 2003-06-16 21:26:23 UTC reality milling Parker, Darcy 2003-06-17 05:54:35 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] reality milling colin_jet 2003-06-17 07:14:54 UTC Re: reality milling Jon Elson 2003-06-17 09:43:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] reality milling mart_wid 2003-06-17 12:08:06 UTC Re: reality milling teilhardo 2003-06-17 17:59:15 UTC Re: reality milling