CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC w/steppers & Xylotex

Posted by jeffalanp
on 2003-06-18 18:06:15 UTC
Hi,
> and can not be changes in software. So, you need to build yourself a
> crossover converter.
>
> Tim
> [Denver, CO]

If you installed all of the correct pacakges (deveoper package
during BDI install), you can modify the code to swap the STEP and DIR
for EMC in software to match the usage for the Xylotex drive. I
changed mine in the program that gets compiled into steppermod.o
(select steppermod.o in the ini file too). The C program is:
emcstepmot.c The change is on variable: SmLoByte the 0x01 becomes
0x02, and the 0x02 becomes 0x01. You would then need to recompile:
from /usr/local type in "./compile" (dot slash compile). This
recompiles everything, but it's easier to do than try to separtely
build everything. If you do want to give this a try, let me know,
and I'll look up the specific function that requires the change.

If you are not C programming/linux savvy, then by all means, just
build a cable to swap the pins:

2 = 3
3 = 2
4 = 5
5 = 4
6 = 7
7 = 6
8 = 9
9 = 8

Jeff
http://www.xylotex.com

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Goldstein" <timg@k...>
wrote:
> I think you will find the problem is that the pinouts for EMC do not
> match that of the Xylotex parallel port cable. Compared to the
Xylotex
> EMC has the step and direction pins reversed for each axis. On EMC
pin2
> is X dir and pin3 is X step. On the Xylotex Pin2 is X step and pin3
is X
> dir. Unlike most modern PC controllers the pinouts on EMC are hard
coded
> and can not be changes in software. So, you need to build yourself a
> crossover converter.
>
> Tim
> [Denver, CO]
> Sherline products at Deep Discount
> Mach1 & DeskCNC with credit card ordering
> www.KTMarketing.com/Sherline

kdntool 2003-06-18 15:01:55 UTC EMC w/steppers Tim Goldstein 2003-06-18 15:19:43 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC w/steppers jeffalanp 2003-06-18 18:06:15 UTC Re: EMC w/steppers & Xylotex kdntool 2003-06-19 07:27:02 UTC Re: EMC w/steppers & Xylotex jeffalanp 2003-06-19 08:32:07 UTC Re: EMC w/steppers & Xylotex kdntool 2003-06-19 09:59:36 UTC EMC w/steppers & Xylotex Jon Elson 2003-06-19 16:59:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC w/steppers & Xylotex