CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC w/steppers & Xylotex

Posted by kdntool
on 2003-06-19 07:27:02 UTC
Again Thank you for your help !! I did pick up on the different
pinouts while I was getting everything together so I have already
made and installed ythe "crossover" cable. I am not a programmer by
any means so that was the route I chose. I did however use freqmod.o
instead of steppermod.o and maybe that is my problem. I will change
it now and find out.
Regards,
Ken
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "jeffalanp" <xylotex@h...>
wrote:
> Hi,
> > and can not be changes in software. So, you need to build
yourself a
> > crossover converter.
> >
> > Tim
> > [Denver, CO]
>
> If you installed all of the correct pacakges (deveoper package
> during BDI install), you can modify the code to swap the STEP and
DIR
> for EMC in software to match the usage for the Xylotex drive. I
> changed mine in the program that gets compiled into steppermod.o
> (select steppermod.o in the ini file too). The C program is:
> emcstepmot.c The change is on variable: SmLoByte the 0x01 becomes
> 0x02, and the 0x02 becomes 0x01. You would then need to
recompile:
> from /usr/local type in "./compile" (dot slash compile). This
> recompiles everything, but it's easier to do than try to separtely
> build everything. If you do want to give this a try, let me know,
> and I'll look up the specific function that requires the change.
>
> If you are not C programming/linux savvy, then by all means,
just
> build a cable to swap the pins:
>
> 2 = 3
> 3 = 2
> 4 = 5
> 5 = 4
> 6 = 7
> 7 = 6
> 8 = 9
> 9 = 8
>
> Jeff
> http://www.xylotex.com
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Goldstein" <timg@k...>
> wrote:
> > I think you will find the problem is that the pinouts for EMC do
not
> > match that of the Xylotex parallel port cable. Compared to the
> Xylotex
> > EMC has the step and direction pins reversed for each axis. On
EMC
> pin2
> > is X dir and pin3 is X step. On the Xylotex Pin2 is X step and
pin3
> is X
> > dir. Unlike most modern PC controllers the pinouts on EMC are
hard
> coded
> > and can not be changes in software. So, you need to build
yourself a
> > crossover converter.
> >
> > Tim
> > [Denver, CO]
> > Sherline products at Deep Discount
> > Mach1 & DeskCNC with credit card ordering
> > www.KTMarketing.com/Sherline

Discussion Thread

kdntool 2003-06-18 15:01:55 UTC EMC w/steppers Tim Goldstein 2003-06-18 15:19:43 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC w/steppers jeffalanp 2003-06-18 18:06:15 UTC Re: EMC w/steppers & Xylotex kdntool 2003-06-19 07:27:02 UTC Re: EMC w/steppers & Xylotex jeffalanp 2003-06-19 08:32:07 UTC Re: EMC w/steppers & Xylotex kdntool 2003-06-19 09:59:36 UTC EMC w/steppers & Xylotex Jon Elson 2003-06-19 16:59:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC w/steppers & Xylotex