CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: A "simple" Hexapod project - Joints

on 2003-06-28 06:34:45 UTC
Do keep us informed!

Have you decided what working envelope you ar going to aim for and
what sort of machining you want to do?

Graham

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "stephank97" <stephank@c...>
wrote:
> I have done the inverse kinematics for a triaglide system (general
> closed form) as it is fairly simple and just a 4th order polynomial
> to solve.
> A couple of comments:
> These machines are fairly large i.t.o space occupied for a similiar
> xyz machine. So you are trading floor/table space for building cost
>
> 2 things play a dominant role, working volume and joint range.
> As the working volume is irrelevant in the x direction (you simply
> add more rail length), the problem is deciding y and z ranges and
> these are interrelated. If you want a wide y with a shallow z, to
> minimise the length of rail, you need a tall machine. For a deep
> working volume you need to increase the x direction.
> More important, if you choose to use ball joints, the limit of the
> sideways range will decide your minimum leg length. Plus you would
> like some clearance above the spindle holder.
> Another problem creeps into the system. If you want to minimise
rail
> movement, you have to operate with the legs as near to vertical as
> possible, but this creates the problem that your sideways stiffness
> is at a minimum. Conversely if you operate the machine with maximum
> sideways stiffness, your vertical stiffness is at a minimum.If you
> operate the machine with both vertical and horizontal stiffness,
> your machine size is at a maximum.
>
> another thing to look out for. Since this is a non linear movement
> machine, there are points where a small movement in the rail can
> cause a large movement in the tool position, So the resolution is
> not equal over the entire working volume. Steppers would not be the
> best of choices.
>
> Despite these difficulties I am working on mine and will keep you
> informed
>
> Stephan
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "alex" <telecomt@t...>
wrote:
> > Graham,
> > I would go for a ball joint.
> > If you place compression springs between the plate and the base,
> you can
> > adjust
> > stiffness of it.
> > Alex

Discussion Thread

Graham Stabler 2003-06-17 12:07:17 UTC Re: A "simple" Hexapod project - Joints alex 2003-06-17 12:54:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: A "simple" Hexapod project - Joints Graham Stabler 2003-06-17 13:15:11 UTC Re: A "simple" Hexapod project - Till's hexapod even better stephank97 2003-06-27 02:09:43 UTC Re: A "simple" Hexapod project - Joints Carl Mikkelsen 2003-06-27 08:32:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: A "simple" Hexapod project - Joints Graham Stabler 2003-06-28 06:34:45 UTC Re: A "simple" Hexapod project - Joints